While making a garden egg sauce, one of the things to keep in mind is what it goes with and what not. Few recommendations as regard other food items to serve with it, would be outlined later on this post. To start with, while very few people love to use a vegetable oil, I would recommend using palm oil for best result.
Needed ingredients for making a garden egg sauce
- Garden Eggs (big ones preferably)
- Locust beans (Iru)
- Palm Oil
- Habanero Pepper
- Fish (smoked)
Garden egg sauce cooking direction
- Rinse your garden eggs in a small bowl and remove all the stalks. Blend the garden eggs with a blender and pour in a bowl. Blend your pepper too (habanero) and pour in another separate bowl.
- Pour the blended garden egg substance in a pot and cook till it’s water becomes almost dry.
- In another clean pot, pour your palm oil in and heat on fire for some time. Add your onions; which are expected to have being sliced or cut into pieces already. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garden egg; fry and stir together for a while. Cover the mixture and allow to cook/fry for few minutes.
- Open and add your blended pepper, locust beans (iru) and salt. Fry along with other mixtures.
- Add your smoked fish and cook/fry till done. Your garden egg stew is ready to be served.
Kindly note: that you can also use mortar and pestle if you don’t have a blender around. In this case, the procedure will be slightly different, as you will have your garden eggs boiled till they get soft. Peel the surface/skin of your garden eggs away and pound in a mortar till it gets smooth to your taste.
Garden egg sauce is best served with eko, boiled yam etc. It can also be great when matched with boiled white rice.
Have you seen this post: Great Recipes Without Tomatoes?